March 3, 2009

Gravity Wave? Who knew?

Perhaps you have been as intrigued as I have been by media coverage of The Big Winter Storm back east. As you might expect, I have been lapping up the various storm stories like a purring kitten in front of the warm bowl of milk.

This morning the headline in one of the stories immediately caught my bleary eyes: The Philadelphia Inquirer's headline blared: "Gravity Wave: powered late season snowstorm. Gravity Wave? Gee, I guess I have fallen behind in the Lingo Wars or somehow dropped off the Nomenclature Wagon or something. Gravity Waves? Huh?

Well, guess what? Gravity waves are totally real you can read all about them, too.First, click here for the Philly story. Naturally, I immediately went to Wikipedia in hopes that awesome online tome would have something about gravity waves.Sure enough, here is the Wiki entry on the phenomena.Once at Wiki you will find this really impressive piece of "math art" adorning the Wiki page. If this doesn't make you want to drink more coffee, I sure don't know what will! Who knew? (Click the graphic for a larger one.)

No comments: