March 5, 2009

Ah, HA! What were we saying?

Hey, Dear Readers, I have been taking a break from the Winter 0809 blog. Somehow, reality got real distorted over in California and I just decided to "chuck it" for a well-deserved break. It's Thursday night and so I decided to once again come back and "tune in" to my blog.
Lo and behold, I just found this snippet online:

"Heavy snowfall brought a dramatic increase to the Sierra snowpack, which has lagged significantly below average levels this season. As much snow as normally falls in the Tahoe-Truckee area during the entire month of March fell during its first three days, experts said.

On Wednesday, the Truckee River and Lake Tahoe Basin's snowpacks were measured at 87 percent of average for the date, up from 79 percent Tuesday morning and the lower 70s a week ago.

"I looked at those numbers two or three times this morning and just said, 'Wow,'" said Dan Greenlee, a hydrologist with the U.S. Natural Resource Conservation Service.

"It was a phenomenal storm," Greenlee said. "We still need some more, but it's definitely an improvement."

The storm dumped enough precipitation into Lake Tahoe in three days to raise its water level nearly 4 inches, increasing Tahoe's water storage by about 38,000 acre-feet, Greenlee said. That's more than 12 billion gallons."

Well, as you might expect, this type of stuff gets me pretty excited. I guess I was "right" afterall. Once that Muscle Bound Guy, Arni What's-His-Name, said they were in a statewide drought, well, I guess I kinda lost interest. Even though I knew it wasn't really "so," that type of political hype really just annoyed me enough to take a break from this weather blog. Afterall, I also write blogs about volunteers, food shopping and trading Zions Bank stock. I don't need to hang out here. So I took a break.

It's so nice to come back from my break and see that Lake Tahoe gained 12 billion gallons from the last storm. That really kind of validates things like the QPF graphics and the jetstream and the Navy water vapor maps and all of that other esoteric stuff we watch, doesn't it? Geeze!

Well, I am going to run along now--this was just a quick visit back to the Winter 0809 blog--we will add more insights tomorrow. In the meantime, I suggest readers of this blog enjoy a little moment of self-congratulations. We all saw this coming and we should be proud of ourselves. Thank you for your support.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, nice and wet here in the Bay Area.
Would be interested in reading your other blogs, esp. the one about trading Zion Bank stocks (?!!). How may I access them?

Dave E.