February 16, 2009

Just how is Alaska, anyway?

I haven't had time to check in on Alaska lately. I've assumed it's cold up there. I noticed on the NWS Warning composite that the North Slope is under a Blizzard Warning. So I clicked off and, sure enough, it's gonna be your typical way-be-below zero temps with fierce winds and lots of snow. Hum...sounds intense! Meanwhile I clicked off into the Bering Sea and, well, yeah, 50 knot winds, 20+ foot waves.
It's not so bad in the lower Alaskan latitudes--just a normal winter. However, it's a good idea to keep an eye on Alaska. If it gets tropical up there, I'd guess the affects of the summer volcano ash and gas are history. It looks like Ol' Man Winter has Northern Alaska by the throat right now. Cold. Snow. Wind. High Seas. All the usual suspects.

No comments: