February 12, 2009

A moment of truth

All eyes and hopes are on California right now. Californians might not know or realize it but lots of humans elsewhere are praying that they pull through the epic drought that they are facing. Their best odds are coming up in this next pulse and parade of storms.

I was roaming the various AFD's this evening and I found a rare bit of personal emotion being expressed. Normally, the NWS weather wonks keep their personal feelings out of their discussions. It's all "cut and dried" techno talk.

This snippet came out of Reno's afternoon AFD. You can almost sense the helplessness and near hopelessness in these words, as well as a sense of prayer, too. Maybe I am reading too much into a few scant words. I don't think so.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THE 18Z RUNS...AND 12Z EURO ARE ALSO TRENDING SLOWER AND A BIT DRIER. EVEN WITH THE DRIER SOLUTIONS...1-2 FEET OF SNOW FOR THE SIERRA STILL LOOK POSSIBLE...BUT NOT THE 2-4 FEET INITIAL INDICATIONS SHOWED. IT IS EVEN POSSIBLE IF THE LOW CUTS OFF ENOUGH THAT WE DONT GET THAT MUCH AT ALL. RIGHT NOW...MY GUT FEELING IS THAT THE 12Z EURO/18Z GFS IS THE WAY TO GO...ALTHOUGH MY CONFIDENCE IS NOT ALL THAT HIGH. GIVEN THE WAY THIS WINTER HAS GONE...ALMOST EXPECTING THAT I AM STILL TOO WET. I HOPE I AM NOT. WALLMANNCheck out Buoy 46002--Gusting to 39 knots--waves to 20 feet! YES!

No comments: